I took the shuttle today from the South Rim of Grand Canyon to Marble Canyon and walked down to the campground at Lee’s Ferry. Still pretty warm during the day, in the mid-90s. Walking down to the campground from Marble Canyon, the road passes by towering red rock cliffs and giant boulders.
This is one of my favorite sunset spots around, and I expect the next few days will be no different. It’s still pretty warm during the days here, getting into the mid-90s, and still feels like summer. But the night is cool, dipping into the 70s. Tomorrow I hope to take a brief wander down to the Colorado River in search of a remote Grand Canyon National Park entry sign that a friend who visited this summer brought to my attention, and stop by the ranger program apparently being held at Lonely Dell Ranch before heading up Paria Canyon into the Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness and taking my first steps out on this 850 or so mile journey to Mexico.
I may be out of data range through the next few days so don’t be surprised if posting is intermittent. I apologize in advance.
- Backpacking the Amazing Arizona Trail – Pine Mountain (Passage 21), FR 422 to Pigeon Spring Trailhead
- Backpacking the Amazing Arizona Trail – Pine Mountain (Passage 21), Boulder Creek Trail
- Backpacking the Amazing Arizona Trail – Saddle Mountain, Part II (Day 54, Passages 22 & 21)
- Backpacking the Amazing Arizona Trail – Saddle Mountain, Part I (Day 53, Passage 23)
- Backpacking the Amazing Arizona Trail – Mazatzal Divide, Part V (Day 53, Passage 23)